Thursday 10 January 2013

Migraines, Massages and More


Sometime about the time we returned from TfN I had an allergic attack, by New Year's it was a full blown sinus cold & cough and last week despite precautions and medications it moved to becoming a migraine. I hate migraines, I wouldn't wish them on my enemies and sinus migraines are the worst.

My sinus migraine follows a wave, it goes away for a while and I rejoice, then suddenly when I least expect its back in full force. It's like someone hammering a nail into my head. Only in one little spot in my head. I feel hot and in hell, my eyes feel red and I literally see red. Oh!, it's horrible. After a while I don't even enjoy the time when the pain is gone because I know its going to be back and I'm dreading the moment. On a scale on 1 to 10 I'd say the pain fluctuates between 7 and 10. I not yet screaming only because I have a higher pain threshold than normal.

Ah! That felt good. Thank you for listening. I'm in so much pain that I really wanted to tell someone, so I wrote it down :D

I've managed the last few days to do the physical non-thinking work but all mental stuff like my blog posts are just beyond me (it took me four days to slowly complete this post). I can't; I'm unable to think and its blaady frustrating. I've been quite a burden these past few days, mopping around holding my head and moaning at the weirdest of times. I refuse to let a migraine stop my life but it's horrible and frustrating.

Since medication hadn't worked and I needed some serious sinus relief, Che did some research on YouTube (hurray for the internet). Here's a couple of things we watched and tried.



Dr. Veera Gupta's massage technique works and it did help. It did drain my sinuses a bit and gave me some relief but I guess my sinuses are really clogged and this isn't enough by itself. Maybe if I did this massage regularly or when the cold starts it'll help a lot more and I won't get to this situation. The other drawback to this is that its not easy to do on yourself, it's better done by someone else on you.



I tried doing these yoga positions but with an all-out migraine bending over caused excruciating pain and I couldn't do most of the steps Chaz Rough shows. But I guess doing this yoga routine regularly will help stay away from the migraine situation. The breathing step is great and easy to do just after a stream session though.



I also found this video with Michelle Ebbin on ModernMom talking about how to use reflexology to reduce migraines. I don't really know how well reflexology works but at this point in time I'm happy to try almost anything.

The other thing I've been doing a lot is steaming. I'm doing at least two rounds of 10 min. each everyday for the last few days and that has helped too. The steam relieves the nasal block and clears the head at least for a while.

All said and done, I'm trying everything to help me deal with my allergies and migraines, especially since Bangalore isn't the best of cities for someone with allergies. I'm off to the Doctor again tomorrow to see to the migraines; I can't live with it anymore.

If you have any tips or advise for me, please let me know. I need all the help I can get. :)

Update asof 12th Jan '13: Been to the the Doc and he says it definitely looks like a sinus induced migraine however before we do any further investigation, I need to get out of the pain I'm in and the migraines and sinus build-up has to reduce. I'm on a course of medication for now. After the course and once I've got some relief I need to get a CT-scan done to see that's constantly causing the sinus to flare up and not drain. Based on the scan further action can then be planned to resolve the issue fully.

0 comments:

Post a Comment