Sunday 21 February 2016

The #FlipkartOutdoors #Indiblogger Meet: A Recap

#FlipkartOutdoors #Indiblogger Meet

Indiblogger meets are all about product promotions and yesterday was no different with Flipkart showcasing outdoor products from Altec Lansing, Samsung Gear S2, Red Chief Shoes, Polaroid Cube, Coleman and Garmin at this #FlipkartOutdoors meet.

But that isn’t why I attend, my reasons have nothing to do with the promotion or freebies. My attendance is all about friends and fun - meeting the bloggers I’ve grown close-to over previous meets and who I look forward to catching up with. Though the freebies are definitely welcome too. :D

An hours bus journey took us from Ulsoor to Mango Mist Resort yesterday morning, where breakfast awaited us before the day started with a warm-up Indiblogger style. :D

Here’s the line-up of products we got introduced to before the fun started.

Red Chief Shoes


This desi company makes casual shoes for men. These shoes are great if you want to give the impression that you are the that cool outdoorsy man, but make note these shoes are not recommended for actual hiking or trekking.
 
Red Chief Shoes

One thing that I thought was really cool was that these shoes are supposed to be biodegradable, yep the sole too!
 
Biodegradable Red Chief Shoes

Sadly they don’t have anything for women, and won’t have anything on offer for the fairer sex for another three years!

Polaroid


I’ve used the GoPro a couple to times before and really like it. It’s great for those crazy things Che and I do, it’s why I was excited to see the Polaroid Cube. It’s size and feel are the pluses for me but its magnetism which is a great feature to use for in car recording etc. was a put as it’s powerful enough wipe clean data and hence makes the device unsafe for handbag carrying. :(
 
Polaroid Cube

I was also excited to see and try the Polaroid Snap. Che’s been using the Instax Wide over the last one month and a comparison was but inevitable. I’m not the best judge of quality but I did like the sticker format of images, the option to choose between b/w, colour and sepia and the size of the camera. I’d love to try out the next version of the Snap as it’s supposed to have instant photos and a data card so you can take multiple prints if you wish.
 
Polaroid Snap

Altec Lansing


Lately I’ve been on the lookout for good earphones for running, wired or unwired. The new Altec Lansing Bluetooth Headphones wowed me. They tuck in well into the ear, are water proof, have great battery backup and are offered at a good price. Only drawback was the battery like thing on the cable that feels like a weight hanging off the ears.
 
Altec Lansing Lifejacket Speakers

There were also the Lifejacket speakers which were a crowd draw with their pulsating water to the beat of music. These little babies are not at all delicate,we hurled them 20 feet away and they continued to play. They beasts are rugged and waterproof. Prefect for our doggie house, me thinks… but wait, are they doggie proof? :P

Garmin


Ironically it was just last month that I bought the Suunto Ambit 2 R from Flipkart and I’ve been a satisfied user for a couple of weeks now. That said, after seeing and handling the Garmin devices on display yesterday, I think a Garmin device would have been a good buy too.
 
Garmin Gear for Runners

But when we were choosing the device, we’d been disappointed by Garmin’s prices in India. I bought the Suunto at Rs.15,000; the Garmin equivalent (Forerunner 620) is Rs.27,825 on Flipkart!!!
 
Suunto Ambit 2R vs Garmin Forerunner 620

I hope Garmin works on their pricing, this same watch is $239.99 on Amazon.com, thats Rs. 16,494 (at rate 68.73%). It’s cheaper to buy it in dollars!!!
Garmin on Flipkart
Garmin on Amazon India
Garmin on Amazon.com

Coleman


Don’t go by my photo of Shantanu investigating below, I was amazed that these guys have even a porta-potty! Aside from that they also had tents, bottles, compass, foldable chairs, insulated tiffin boxes and bungee cords on display. This was the most outdoorsy counter, if you ask me. ;)
 
Coleman even had a Port-a-potty, Shatanu investigates

Samsung Gear S2


I don’t really know how good these are for the serious outdoorsy folk or fitness addicts but they look really cool with colour display, phone sync, touch screen, etc. These would be cool everyday android wear.
 
Samsung Gear S2

 


Customary niceties over. Now on to the fun part (after a quick review of the resort of course). ;)

Mango Mist Resort
Mango Mist Resort is one those activity based resorts set in a Mango orchard. They offer a host of activities from zorbing to fish spa. They have a variety of packages available but almost all of them only have 4 coupons included (each coupon is worth Rs.50).

So what are coupons. Coupons can we used to do activities like rock climbing, crossing Burma bridges, climbing rope ladders, zip-lining, zorbing and more. There are a lot of activities offered but with just 4 coupons nothing much can be done, especially since it’s not one coupon per activity, some activities need 2 or 3 coupons. :(

I had to request for more coupons and as always the Indiblogger guys obliged. Thank guys for the extra fun. :) Before I go on, a quick note on Mango Mist Resort - the resort is nice and the food good too. I liked the variety of packages offered with cottage and tent accommodations too so you can stay over and have more fun.

I big drawback was the lake behind the resort. It smells obnoxious and looks dirty too. A little work and help of the resort guys might make this eye-sore a beautiful water body and a good addition to the resort, it’d nice to see resorts give back to nature. The other down like I mentioned before was the limited coupons.

Ok, all that formality done. Here’s some pictures and a video of all that happened for me. ;)

 

Burma Bridge
I thought this would be easy compared to the others but man was this scary, with my phobia for ledges I giggled in nervousness all the way across the bridge.

 

Burma Bridge
Here’s the one Parinita choose. When looking at someone doing it, it’s so easy to give advise and think you’d do it better. Doing it though is a completely different thing.

 

Mango Mist Resort Bar
After all that activity, like all good girls, we hit the bar. ;)

 

Inside the Zorb
After watching zorbing on TV many a time, I’ve always wanted to try it out. Bhawna and I had a screaming match in there and so much fun. That’s how we looked at the end of the roll. :D
Another item checked on the bucket-list.

 

The Paintball Winners

And we finally ended the day with paintball and we won. That's the team - don't know what we were thinking but its an excellent capture. :D Below is what I won.A girly pink 3 box insulated tiffin system that keeps food both hot and cold.
Coleman Tiffin Box

I'd made instagram videos through the day, but putting up each one, just makes for a lot of video. (Plus Instagram is a pain with embeds). So, here's a mash-up of the day on my Youtube channel.
 


 
It was a super fun day and tiring too. Catching up with friends and doing crazy stuff is tiring. :D

A couple of shout outs at the end -
Thanks Flipkart and Indiblogger for a spectacular day.
Rajiv for the morning ride. That was exciting!
Che for taking over at home so I could get away... Thanks isn't enough :P
Bhawna and Pari for the wonderful company that made the day even better. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! How i wish I was based in Bangalore :P I love the new gadgets Flipkart has to offer. Dibs on the SNAP! :D
    Indiblogger meets are always such fun...waiting for one in Mumbai! Thank you for the insights ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you are not cursing me for that morning ride, I should be happy ;)

    Cheers,
    Rajiv

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... not at all. It was such fun. And an adventure, balancing two bags while simultaneously trying to stay on the seat of the bike. :D
    BTW I saw a lady the other day sitting side-saddle on a KTM and I was like OMG!!! How is she doing that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for catching that one. :) Corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah.. ! And sorry about the bag as well :-p LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by and reading through that long post Zainab. :) Look forward to meeting you at a meet sometime. Like Rajiv said, Bangalore isn't all that far. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, no sorry-vorry, I brought one too, didn't I ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Priyanka Tripati18 March 2016 at 12:28

    Nice article! Really you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!

    Useful information worthy of thanks ,

    http://ixgram.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice and awesome article . Thanks again for sharing this.
    http://www.techora.net/

    ReplyDelete