Thursday 10 March 2016

Review: Hobby In A Box - The Little Box of DIY Joy

Hobby in a Box

Disclaimer: I received a box from the Hobby In A Box guys in exchange for an unbiased review.

I first found Hobby In A Box through the workshops they conduct in IIM Bangalore on Sundays. It being too far for me, I reached out to find something closer and got directed to their website in lieu of no workshops in my area.

The concept of the site immediately struck a chord with me. I’ve seen this idea being implemented in the US but sadly it was lacking in India until now. So, what’s the concept?

The Concept


 
The idea behind Hobby In A Box is that most often what stops us from learning a new craft is the investment or procurement of material for that craft - either it's expensive, you have to buy in bulk or have to travel far and wide to find them. The Hobby In A Box guys, solve that by putting all you need to try something new in a little box, so there’s no running around anymore, just the joy of learning and making something new.

Hobby in a Box

I loved the projects the guys had to offer on the site, and selected the Warli folk art box. Pretty soon I heard from Manveen (co-founder), she said that that box was out of stock but I could choose another. We got talking and in no time she agreed to surprise me with a box in exchange for a review. I ended that call gleefully rubbing my palms, wondering what was in store for me. :)

The box arrived a few weeks later and I was thrilled to find a kit for glass etching. I’ve done glass painting but I’d never tried etching out. Reason - good etching creams are expensive, have to be sourced from US, and have to be bought in a big jar!

Let's Do It!


 
I opened the box to find two glasses, a jar of etching cream, a brush, a plain sticker sheet, a printed sticker sheet (a special extra for me!) and instructions.

Hobby in a Box contents

The instructions asked me to go to their Youtube channel and check out the tutorial on glass etching. I’m used to written/drawn instructions and this was a deviation but one that turned out really helpful, as Manveen explains the process really well through the video and watching makes it easier to implement. (Almost like attending one of her workshops.)



I settled down to try my hand out at etching, and following instructions put down paper so I don’t get etching cream on surfaces I don’t want etched. :D

Hobby in a Box Etching set

The etching cream box had leaked and partially ruined the inside of one glass, so I tweaked the design a bit to hide it. I also added the glass from a candle lamp to see how it came out and did simple designs since it was my first time.

Hobby in a Box glasses

Hobby in a Box glasses stickered

Once the design was complete, the next step was to put on the etching cream.

Hobby in a Box glasses with cream

The tutorial video says the cream can be reused but mine dried and taking it off wasn’t an option. I had to wash them off. As I washed off the cream, the glasses looked like nothing had happened to them but as they dried, it was like magic watching the designs showing up.

Hobby in a Box etched glasses

The candle lamp was a gift from a dear aunt and it turned out so beautiful. I love it!

Hobby in a Box etching

The experience of trying out and learning something new was such fun. It was an afternoon filled with fun and joy. Che watched me going through all the steps with curiosity and amusement but even he was gushing at the end result!

My Experience


 
My Hobby In A Box was a complete success with etching cream left over, and now I’m looking for more glasses to etch. :D
Having all I needed at hand to start a new project was super helpful, the video tutorial made the learning process easier and doing it was such fun. A quick shout out to the guys behind the scenes too, especially Manveen who was really helpful and a pleasure to interact with.

I definitely recommend trying out the Hobby In A Box projects, especially if you have kids, the box will make for a fun afternoon with your child. And if you live in South Bangalore, you should try an make it to their Hobby in a Box workshops at IIM!

Have you tried out a Hobby In A Box? Which one was your favourite? If you haven’t, head over to Hobby In A Box now! I’m off to select my next project but you don't forget to tell me what you though of my lamp in comments. ;)

6 comments:

  1. Seema Kotian Gopal10 March 2016 at 09:04

    wonderful, didn't know about HobbyinaBox in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty cool Seema and if you're a crafter you should try it out. Plus I'd love to hear what you thought of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obsessive Traveller10 March 2016 at 09:42

    Hey this sounds very intersting! Thanks for introducing me to Hobby in a box!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most welcome :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting! and you are right, the biggest thing that stops me from trying new crafts like there is procuring material. But the concept of hobby in a box seems great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you gotta try some of these Bhawna, I know you and Little B with enjoy them! :)

    ReplyDelete